Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default close coupled cistern bolts

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:21:44 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Most of the ones I've seen have used stainless steel bolts. IIRC the
washers are cone shaped?

I got out the yellow pages and found there were half a dozen plumbers
merchants in town, so spent the afternoon visiting them. In the past,
I have read posts here, normally directed at Doctor D, criticising the
staff at plumbers merchants. Having met a few who were uninterested
and unhelpful, I can see why people have said what they have said!

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what TMH was telling me. I thought the
quote about metal bolts referred to the "proper" way of coupling,
using this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17405/...e-Coupling-Kit

I went to Grahams and they sold metal bolts with rubber cones that go
through the bottom of the cistern; I realise now that that is what TMH
meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Grahams told me that these were fitted to their £300 toilets. £300 for
a toilet! I'm surprised though, I would have thought that being
constantly submerged in oxygenated water would be a recipe for rust.
Would it help to coat them with something?

Another merchant suggested that steel would rust and I should source a
brass bolt: do you know of any sources for a 10M x 60mm brass bolt?

I have bought the pack from Grahams for the time being. It had four
plastic washers, two plastic nuts and two metal nuts. Do you use one
washer either side of the cistern? IE One in the bottom of the cistern
above the cone and then one underneath the pan above the nut? I have
used the plastic nuts; what are the metal nuts for? Do you need to fit
those beneath the plastic ones? Or is this a one pack fits all and you
choose the bits you need from it according to your toilet?

I had a look at the display loos in B&Q. All the unbranded ones use
the through the cistern method, which is a PIA when you remove the
cistern because you have to remove the "dead water" first. The
Armitage Shanks ones all had "intact" cisterns with fixings below.