Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Soot on Ceiling

On May 18, 12:44*am, Larry Weil wrote:
In article
,

*Evan wrote:

I think there is a bigger question here that no one is asking...

Why is there soot in your heating ducts from any kind of furnace ?

Do you have a leak in your exhaust flue in the furnace which is
allowing the soot and therefore also the CO gas from the exhaust
products into your heating ducts, the end result being soot stains
next to the air registers ?

How old is your furnace, it sounds like it needs an inspection
to determine if it is leaking flue gases into the house...

Yes, this thought did occur to me. *I had a problem a couple of months
ago where the furnace was running to rich and had to be adjusted leaner. *
My furnace service guy tells me that itıs almost impossible to have a
monoxide problem with oil, that it is usually from a gas furnace.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

That still seems very out of whack to me... Even if your system was
running rich and burning too much oil, it would mean you would have
a CLOUD of exhaust/smoke going up and out of your flue/chimney
which would consist of the soot particles and would leave a plume
of what looks like a very fine black snow on the ground outside in
the downwind direction...

I have seen that before when a newbie mistake at an institutional
facility resulted in one of the oil fired boilers resulted in a rich
mixture.. Boy was that ever an expensive cleanup to get that
stuff off of the neighbors lawns and houses...

Anywhere you combustion taking place is a source of CO gas...
Whether the combustion is fueled by natural gas, propane, oil,
wood, coal, etc, CO gas is a component of the exhaust gases...

If you are seeing oil residues of ANY kind coming out of any
of the heating vents INSIDE your home, then you need to
have your furnace taken apart and inspected for leaks as
none of the exhaust gases (which is where the soot is coming
from) should ever be in the heating ducts...

~~ Evan