Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Glue-up question for lathe work

Wishing to turn a gear shift knob for my 1948 Pontiac. Automatic
transmission with lever on the steering column. Original was some kind of
plastic/Bakelite that has broken to pieces.

Final product would be about 3 inches long and vary in diameter from about
5/8 inches to 1-1/4 inches. Would like to glue-up some light and dark woods
for the turning, BUT, wish for the alternate colored woods in the finished
product to look more like a spiral.

Do I simply glue up a block, say W/D/W/D/W (W=white, D=dark) and saw it on a
diagonal before turning? I can't quite picture how to make the blank prior
to turning.

All help, advice etc. appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary