Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Soot on Ceiling

Larry Weil wrote:
In article
,
Evan wrote:

I think there is a bigger question here that no one is asking...

Why is there soot in your heating ducts from any kind of furnace ?

Do you have a leak in your exhaust flue in the furnace which is
allowing the soot and therefore also the CO gas from the exhaust
products into your heating ducts, the end result being soot stains
next to the air registers ?

How old is your furnace, it sounds like it needs an inspection
to determine if it is leaking flue gases into the house...

Yes, this thought did occur to me. I had a problem a couple of months
ago where the furnace was running to rich and had to be adjusted leaner.

That shouldn't send any soot through the ducts.... but with any hot air
systems after enough time there is normally a soot looking spot where
the air blows on a wall or ceiling. Take apart most electronic
equipment and where there is heat, there is a soot like spot.

My furnace service guy tells me that itıs almost impossible to have a
monoxide problem with oil, that it is usually from a gas furnace.

I don't know what the difference would be, but with the few oil hot air
furnaces I worked on, the blower fan is always before the heater. So
when it's blowing there is a high pressure and it's more likely for cool
air to get pushed into the firebox than for the sooty gas to come out.
Usually it only comes out when it starts up and before the fan kicks on.
So if it smells when the fan first comes on, I'd have a pro there to
check it out.