Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Rega RB300 turntable...

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"DaveD" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
"Geo" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 May 2010 17:28:20 +0100, "Arfa Daily"

wrote:

It definitely says "Rega Planar 3" at the top front right corner,
although
it's hard to see as the letters are just black 'shininess' within the
black
satin anodised finish of the cabinet. Underneath, directly under the
motor,
is a cover secured by two screws, When this is removed, the motor and

small PCB are revealed. The PCB has just two components on it - the
burnt up
R, which is a large 'film' type, I guess something like about 5mm
diameter
and 20mm or so long, and the 0.22u 400v cap, which is one of those
green MKT
monobloc types. These two components are mounted 'on the slant' on

the
board. The mains comes in, and the neutral is joined immediately to

two
grey
wires from the motor. The live leaves the board again on a white wire
which
goes to the on / off switch at the front top left of the deck. Live
returns
to the board on another white, and goes to the motor red lead via the
burnt
up resistor. The cap is between the red lead and the remaining blue
lead.
Doesn't sound much like the example that you're looking at, eh ?
How about this version from mine - looks like a 15k 5% (old 2-5w
carbon?)
http://www.8zero.co.uk/planar.jpg

--
Geo

Yes, that's closer - although still not quite the same configuration.
It's actually a different motor in yours, but the supply still goes to
the red via the resistor, and the cap still appears to be between red

and
blue, and the same value, although a different type. Based on that, I
think I'm going to start with 15k now, and see if the motor runs, and

if
it does, if it has enough torque to drive the platter.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to post me the piccy.
Appreciated.

Arfa

Hi Arfa
Further info. The data I supplied earlier was from the Planar 3 upgrade
motor assembly.
I have just pulled out the old motor and PCB.
It has only 2 components on it.
1 x 220nf 250v ac X rated cap manufactured by Rifa.
1 x 12k 2-3 watt resistor, 8.5mm dia x 25mm long.
The resistor is a mid brown body colour and the bands are quite hard to
read but measurement confirms 12k 5% (as in brown red orange gold) The
brown and orange are hard to differentiate
The motor is a Philips 110v 50hz 250 rpm (12NC 990411131613) date of
manufacture 1985 with the same colour leads
I would suggest going with what you have in the 12 - 15k ~ 5 watt
resistor. Check that the voltage to the motor is in the region of 110v
under load and it should be good to go
Cheers
DaveD

Many thanks Dave. That's it exactly. I just had a look, and I haven't got

high power 12 or 15k in stock, but I have got some 47k 2 watt film
resistors, so to save time and get the item back to the customer (he's
already put up with me being away on holiday for 2 weeks !), I'm going to
put three of those in parallel as there's plenty of room. Thanks again,

all.

Arfa

Is there a fuseable resistor function to the original ? ie 2 watts of
dissipation from stalled motor and the R blows rather than the motor. Would
not some 1/2 watt resistors together giving 12K be better?