Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ? O.P.

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

One advantage of the smooth top is that you can slide a pan "off the
burner" to the side without it tipping or spilling and you can position
it anywhere on the cooktop.

My gas stovetop is covered with grates. I can slide a pan anywhere
on it.

And take the grates off to clean them. . . and use any pot you like
on them. . . . and drop a pot on them without them shattering. . . and
see when the burner is on. . . .
I like my gas stove, too.

I love mine! Then again, one thing I note is rarely do folks who really
get into cooking, like glass tops. It could be the favored pan that just
does the perfect crepes or anything else. I gather glasstops don't get as
hot (may be better now). My new gas range has a sliding heat scale so
there is no 'number' you are stuck with. Much more versatile.

I actually turned down a house on sight when we were buying over it's
kitchen. The kitchen was *horrible* to a real cook. They'd 'tried to
spiffy it'. Half the cabinets were clear glass faced so you saw inside
(they had cute little arty displays of pretty gourmet jars sprinkled
about). The countertop was granite (hate that stuff). The oven was one of
those cute little in-wall things and might have been 20 inches wide. The
range was glass. Badly needed pot storage was removed to provide a built
in wine cooler, a trash compactor, and a bin that they said was for
potatoes? (Dunno, flipped out and you'd never want to use it for trash as
cleaning would be a nightmare). I just took one look at the realtor and
told him I have 47 falling apart from heavy-use cook books and to move to
the next one please. The owner was a little weirded out that I had wanted
to see the kitchen first, then walked out.

Kitchens are ALWAYS the deal breaker, at least for me. I can live with a
lot, but not a non-foody kitchen.