Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default well stocked small toolbox

zxcvbob wrote:
DD called me twice last week as she is moving out of her apartment
(across the country, or I'd be there helping -- even though she doesn't
want help.) "How do I get the legs off the couch? OK, what kind of
screwdriver?" and "What tool do I need to buy to take the bed apart?"

(#2 phillips, and 1/2" wrench, respectively)

Her birthday is coming up pretty quick, and I tho't I could get her a
small tool box with some basic good-quality tools. Sears used to sell a
short toolbox made of tough plastic and designed to fit under the seat
of your truck. What to stock it with?

A few of essentials: ChannelLock pliers, maybe even 2 pairs (no
substitutes); a long 1/2x9/16 box-end wrench; 12 oz. claw hammer; a few
assorted screwdrivers; cheap torpedo level; tape measure; wire
strippers, and maybe a pair of water pump pliers.

But what about combination wrenches? Should I get a set of metrics or
SAE? Same question with allen wrenches. Her car has all metric
fasteners, but I really don't see her doing any car repairs herself.
Everything else has English fasteners, right?

A 10" or 12" pipe wrench, or would that be just inviting trouble? :-)

What else?

Bob

Forget the tool bags...a nice tool box that opens up with trays is nice.
Pliers, a set of ratchet screw drivers, a boxed set of small screw
drivers, standard hammer, tack hammer (we hand a lot of stuff on walls),
rubber mallet, a small electric sander, a small container of wood glue,
roll painter's tape, a couple of plastic tarps, razor blade scraper, a
squeegee and the thingy that looks like a squeegee mop for washing
windows, assortment of tacks and picture hangers. Don't encourage her
to try electrical work unless she understands how to do it .. soldering
iron, black tape, solder. A BOOK on general household repairs. Set of
washers for faucets...a wet vac for the certain day that the toilet
overflows. A tube of silicone caulk. Heavy duty kitchen shears or tin
shears. Some goof off. Small cordless drill...hanging curtains, etc.

How do I get the legs off the couch? Scary )