Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default USB camera for powder check

"Buerste" fired this volley in
:

I mostly load .38 but followed closely by .45 then 9mm.
Unfortunately, my sweet load is 2.7 grains of 700x which is not a
bulky powder and my cast bullets vary by more than that, cases aren't
much better as I use mixed headstamps with questionable pedigree. I
use the .38s in a .357 Smith that would handle a double load. The
auto loaders scare me the most.

Then cavity resonance might not be the best way to measure it, although
it's a good idea if you were working with factory-new brass. Either
weight or mass are the _only_ ways you'll tell if the load is correct.
Also, you'll have to do the final check before you place and swage the
bullet.

It _could_ be reasonable that the same station that did the powder
before the turret turned. The way progressive loaders work, I think it
might be better to make a transducer that impinged on the side of the
case being measured, than to have a transducer per station, with the
requisite problems of connecting them electrically as the turret moved.

There are a number of problems to solve -- elasticity of the clamp that
holds the casing, moving the transducer probe to the casing, a
calibration method that "knows" how loads within the acceptable range
affect the resonant frequency (dropping it, of course), and so on.

LLoyd