Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
toolbreaker toolbreaker is offline

Default Jet lathe motor HELP

On May 12, 9:26*am, Shabtai wrote:
toolbreaker wrote:
My 13 x 40 Jet lathe motor gave up the goast. *Turn it on and it
hums. * It is against the wall so it is hard to see the motor but I
see capacitor gue coming out of it.

it is a 2 HP 220 VAC Capacitor start induction motor. * Anyone know if
it is 1700 RPM or 3200 RPM motor?

I recently had the same failure on a grizzly 1236.
the caps were marked but I couldn't get the same size cap at Grainger.
I needed the lathe up quick so I wired new caps (replace both while
you're at it) in and made a new cover.

These are pretty standard values and ratings and the HVAC industry
uses them all.

Simon Shabtai Evan

Update.

I pulled the lathe from the wall and looked at the capacitor. It was
bulging and leaking diametric all over everything. The failed
capacitor is factory supplied 110 VAC 600 microfarad beast. See
Granger for a selection of motor run caps. Note the motor runs on
220VAC. It is common for start capacitor to be rated at half working
voltage. This makes sense because the cap is sharing the voltage
with the starting coil so it only experiences ½ the run voltage.

I really needed the lathe for a job so I took a chance and replaced
the capacitor without checking the centrifugal cut out switch
contacts. I tested the motor and it appeared to work so I put
everything back together and started the job. Fifteen minutes into
it BOOM and the starter windings are shorted to ground. It was kind
of exiting because hitting the kill switch had no effect. Thank God
for circuited breakers. This time I pulled the motor and look at
the contacts and they are toast. I am now in the market for a new
motor and spent $700 having another shop make the part.