Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default well stocked small toolbox

zxcvbob wrote:

DD called me twice last week as she is moving out of her apartment
(across the country, or I'd be there helping -- even though she
doesn't want help.) "How do I get the legs off the couch? OK, what
kind of screwdriver?" and "What tool do I need to buy to take the bed
apart?"

(#2 phillips, and 1/2" wrench, respectively)

Her birthday is coming up pretty quick, and I tho't I could get her a
small tool box with some basic good-quality tools. Sears used to sell
a short toolbox made of tough plastic and designed to fit under the
seat of your truck. What to stock it with?

A few of essentials: ChannelLock pliers, maybe even 2 pairs (no
substitutes); a long 1/2x9/16 box-end wrench; 12 oz. claw hammer; a
few assorted screwdrivers; cheap torpedo level; tape measure; wire
strippers, and maybe a pair of water pump pliers.

But what about combination wrenches? Should I get a set of metrics or
SAE? Same question with allen wrenches. Her car has all metric
fasteners, but I really don't see her doing any car repairs herself.
Everything else has English fasteners, right?

A 10" or 12" pipe wrench, or would that be just inviting trouble? :-)

What else?

Bob

Sears has some quite decent complete tool kits in fitted cases for
$50-$60 that include pretty much everything. They are cheaper than
trying to piece a set together yourself. I keep one of those sets in my
truck, supplemented with a couple specialty items like torx socket bits.