Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

Bob F wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

I've been reading the reports of residential gas explosions that show
up pretty much monthly. Do a search on any news site or even google
and you'll find a ton of them. As for oil leaks, it's called secondary
containment, it is not a big deal, and again it wont blow up your
house and kill you.

Do you drive a car, or ride in them? Your chance of injury there is WAY higher.

Yes, I do drive / ride in vehicles, as there is not a viable alternative
as there is with residential nat. gas. I also always wear a seat belt.
At home, for the LP cooktop of my range, I have a gas detector nearby. I
find it rather sad that gas detectors are standard equipment in all RVs,
yet few people have them at home.

This fear is just unrealistic.

It is very realistic, just search the news reports of all the
residential gas explosions. If you have gas service at home you should
at the very least have a gas detector in your home. Ideally the gas
detector should be linked to a shutoff valve so it can stop a leak even
if you are not home. RV gas detectors are available with shutoff valves
now.