Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing microwave exhaust duct

On May 17, 7:45*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I am nearing completion of a kitchen remodel. *I am wondering how you
have dealt with sealing the exhaust fan port to the ducting going to
the attic.

I was able to thoroughly seal the exhaust port to the top of the oven
with foil tape prior to mounting the microwave. *The microwave has to
be mounted before the duct can be attached to the exhaust port.
Unfortunately, because of the limited space around the cutout in the
cabinet, I can't seal the joint between duct and exhaust port with the
same foil tape.

*One microwave that I removed a year or so ago had weatherstripping around
the duct edges on both the wall and microwave oven. *First time that I saw
that.

That's how I do it. You can get that 1/2" by 1/2" foam that is sticky
on one side.