Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking,uk.d-i-y
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What are currently your best saving tips ?

Giusi wrote:
"Rod Speed" ha scritto nel messaggio
Giusi wrote

because a tank water heater works 24/7 no matter how cheap

Plenty of the water heaters dont store the hot water.

I have that type of water heater, but it takes a lot of water running
before the water is hot.

The dishwasher fills with a couple of liters of water, rinses,
drains, then 3 liters that it heats.

Yes, but a dishwasher that uses piped hot water doesnt have to use
hot water all the time.

Nor does mine use all hot. There is a prewash rinse that is cold,
and maybe the first rinse is cold. How would I know?

We are encouraged to use our dishwashers in Italy because it uses
less water and energy than handwashing.

The energy claim is very dubious, particularly with drying.

We do not have heated drying in our DWs. It dries using reserved
heat from a superhot rinse cycle. You can hear silence for a period
followed by the sound of the drain opening. The dishes are very hot.
On occasion I have opened it right away to get something I wanted and
burned my fingers, but there is not hot air period that follows that
rinse.

That energy claim is made by many (most?) utilities in the US also.