Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com, "Pete C." wrote:

I have not lived in a home with all gas appliances,

That's quite obvious, actually, since you appear to know nothing at all about
them.

I know more about them than you apparently.

nor would I want to
due to their inherent safety hazard

You mean "due to your irrational fears"...

Tell that to all the people who have been killed in residential gas
explosions. Compare with all those who have not been killed in the
non-existant residential oil or electrical explosions.

(my LP cooktop is about all I can
tolerate and I have an LP detector in the kitchen). I have however done
an extensive analysis of a years worth of utility bills from two
comparable homes, one with gas appliances and one with electric and
found that the much hyped "savings" simply didn't exist.

Uh-huh. Right.

When you build the spreadsheet covering a full year of data for each
house and take all costs into account, the truth doesn't match the hype.

Far too many people fail to do the analysis, and fall for the hype when
they replace a 30 year old electric or oil heating system with a new gas
one and suddenly see a huge savings. Of course you'll see a huge savings
with 30 year newer equipment, and you'd see that same huge savings with
a 30 year newer electric or oil system as well.

I recall Ed P. who posts here replaced his old oil system with a new
state of the art oil system a year or two ago and did the analysis
before and monitoring after and reported something like a 60% savings
new vs. old.