Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Sealing microwave exhaust duct

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:50:54 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

On May 16, 8:28*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I am nearing completion of a kitchen remodel. *I am wondering how you
have dealt with sealing the exhaust fan port to the ducting going to
the attic.

I was able to thoroughly seal the exhaust port to the top of the oven
with foil tape prior to mounting the microwave. *The microwave has to
be mounted before the duct can be attached to the exhaust port.
Unfortunately, because of the limited space around the cutout in the
cabinet, I can't seal the joint between duct and exhaust port with the
same foil tape.

Any ideas?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Usually the microwave comes with a flange with the damper attached and
that goes into the ductwork. I don't think you need to seal where the
microwave meets the ductwork. I don't think its possible anyway since
there is no room to seal it once the microwave is installed.
From memory, I don't think my installation manual metions it.

Yes, mine had the flange with the damper. That's what I was calling
the "exhaust port." I was able to seal the exhaust port to the
exterior sheet metal of the oven with no problem. When I put the
3-1/4x10 duct over the exhaust port (flange) it just fits over the
exhaust port somewhat loosely. It fits as snugly as can be expected
with no other components. There is a noticeable rush of air inside the
cabinet coming from that joint. I never noticed that type of air leak
with the old unit. However, the fan on this one seems to much more
powerful than the old one.