Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing microwave exhaust duct

On May 16, 7:50*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On May 16, 8:28*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I am nearing completion of a kitchen remodel. *I am wondering how you
have dealt with sealing the exhaust fan port to the ducting going to
the attic.

I was able to thoroughly seal the exhaust port to the top of the oven
with foil tape prior to mounting the microwave. *The microwave has to
be mounted before the duct can be attached to the exhaust port.
Unfortunately, because of the limited space around the cutout in the
cabinet, I can't seal the joint between duct and exhaust port with the
same foil tape.

Any ideas?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Usually the microwave comes with a flange with the damper attached and
that goes into the ductwork. I don't think you need to seal where the
microwave meets the ductwork. I don't think its possible anyway since
there is no room to seal it once the microwave is installed.
From memory, I don't think my installation manual metions it.- Hide quoted text -

Never heard of directly connecting a uwave to an exhaust. My
experience is that the exhaust fan in a uwave isn't nearly strong
enough to exhaust thru any reasonable duct length.