Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Need help repiring rust hole in Weber grill dome

mm wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2010 04:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 16, 12:07 am, mm wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:31:48 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On May 15, 8:08 am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Bruce K. wrote:
Discovered 1/2 inch hole in my Weber Grill dome.
I have a Benzomatic torch, but would like a simple way to repair hole
before I repaint.
If you have a hole in your grill, buy a new grill.
This is alt.home.repair. Not alt.home.waste.money.

And the grill will work fine with the hole.

I didn't write that.

I was relying on people to note the level of indentation. He had two
"" signs. I thought I might follow with a reply to your single
indentation, but didn't have anything to say. If I had also written
something in reply to you, would that have made the whole reply okay?

What is the concensus here? Is it okay to rely on the number of quote
indicators, or must the reply be amended by for example, deleting the
attribution line at the top?

The number of signs is not always a reliable indicator, especially if
one or more people in the chain use Google or other non-standard posting
programs. (I learned about Google the hard way- I have to use Google
Groups when visiting relatives, since none of them are into Usenet, and
it is bad manners to reconfig somebody else's computer.) Plus, of
course, if anyone upthread has done snips without flagging them, it gets
more confusing. If you snip somebody's entire post out of a thread, yes,
you should also delete their name, IMHO. I usually try to swim upthread
and find a post that contains the fewest authors as possible, as close
to the part I am replying to as possible. If it is a long involved
thread and I am replying to multiple people, I may post a flag at the
top, and reply in-line, marking my words with something other than a .
But some people get all hissy at that, so I have been doing it less and
less, and posting multiple seperate replies instead.

I TRY to be careful about attributions and clipping, but even I screw up
once in a while, and I have been online over twenty years now.

--
aem sends...