Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to shrink heat shrink tubing?

PeterD wrote:

On Sat, 15 May 2010 16:44:42 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

I prefer full heat for that job. I just keep it a little further
away from the board. I see less damage to boards that way. I used to
have a 6" solder pot that I would float a scrap board on, then use a
pair of pliers on the corner to smack it against something to eject all
the molten solder. I recycled thousands of 256 kb memory ICs back in
the '80s at $2.75 each. There was a huge shortage of new ICs, so they
sold as fast as I could pull them and re-tin the leads.

Well, the other day I got a new heat gun... Tried it out today, had
this nice dial on the end to set your heat, everything looked nice.

Plugged it in, turned it on, and dialed the heat up and "POP" was what
I heard! oops.

Testing showed me that it was putting out about enough heat to warm my
hand if I held it about four inches from the outlet!

Crap, I hate fixing new stuff, but took it apart, and the SCR in the
dial mechanism had a bad solder joint. New... Of course, chinese crap
made, and I did fix it.

Good for you!