Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen range-switching from gas to electric 240v ?

HeyBub wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Nope, I do the math. In the case of nat gas, what kills your
theoretical savings is the monthly service charges for the many warm
weather months months when you are using hardly any gas, particularly
here in TX where the heating season is short.

Good point.

I live in a duplex - one side is my office. The gas company charges, as I
recall, about $11.00/month just to be connected. I don't begrudge them
that - they have to read the meter, send out a bill, keep records - as
overhead.

With about two hours work and a bit of pipe, I connected both halves of the
duplex to the same meter. It wasn't hard; the two water heaters sat on
opposite sides of a common wall. Simply poking a hole in the wall and
joining the gas supply lines together was relatively easy.

A call to the gas company to drop service one one side of the duplex
resulted in a savings of over $100/year.

Wait, there's more!

The remaining meter is the one servicing the "office" side of the duplex and
the bill is paid by a company check.

Deductible.

You're using the law to save money but the tax weasels will claim
your use of company utilities is compensation. The thought of how
much money and government resources to go after you for that would
boggle the mind.

TDD