Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Craigslist murderers

On May 16, 2:35�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry wrote:
On May 15, 1:52?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry wrote:
On May 14, 9:39?pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry wrote:

Hmm. ?I wonder if Jesus carried a Glock or indeed any other
weapon? Maybe this is why you are the Great Satan! ? :-)

Well, He DID say "trade your cloak for a sword"...

Where is that?

Uh, in the New Testament. Specifically:

Luke 22:36
"He said to them, "But now let the one who has a moneybag take it,
and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his
cloak and buy one."

That instruction was for His followers only. Jesus himself had no
need for a weapon inasmuch as He could miracle an aggressor into a
toad should the need arise.

Now I had never noticed that bit. �The wording is strange.
I did find this:-http://www.ecapc.org/articles/
RensbeD_HS4_BuyASword.asp

Interesting reference you found. It's fascinating that the author of the
reference goes so far as to say: "... it is quite possible that [the words
of this verse] are Luke's own creation."

Imagine that! A professor of New Testament studies proposing that a quote
attributed to Jesus in one of the Gospels was manufactured for unstated and
unknown purposes...

What a hoot! Kinda puts paid to the "inerrancy" claim, doesn't it?- Hide quoted text -

The bible was recompiled about 400AD, a big meeting in Antioch. It
was extensively edited and amended to suit the politics of the day.
Lots of stuff was taken out and the previous then "heretic" copies of
the bible rounded up and destroyed. It's thought they may exist in
the vatican library but they ain't saying. All that remains are the
"gnostic" gospels but they are fragmentary. More stuff turns up from
time to time. There was a big discovery in Egypt not long ago, only
recently translated.
Mary worship is a concession to the pagan "Earthmother" religions of
the day BTW.
There was Judas' gospel, Mary's gospel and even writings from Jesus
himself plus lots more, I don't recall it all.

Bit about it here. But this not a complete explanation. If you are
interested do some more research.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_Gospels

So the bible is in fact pretty dodgy historically.