Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Can this be run on single phase?

On 2010-05-15, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , stryped wrote:
am loooking for an air compressor for my home shop/garage 30x30 that
I could use with a sand blaster if I want. I found this:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/1720299103.html

* * * * Hmm ... the phrase "Rotary Transformer" is another term for
"rotary converter" -- one way to generate three phase from single phase.

It said something about a rotary phase converter. I emailed the guy
and he said it has a "schematic" he thought for single phase wiring
inside the motor. This unit came from a business.

* * * * It should be all that you need to get it running, assuming you
have 240 VAC single phase available.

* * * * The nameplate photo is to heavily jpegd to allow me to make out
the voltage -- or the current. *But you will probably need 50% more
current than the nameplate current to run it.

Anyways, you are a bunch of smart guys on these matters and I would
like to know what you think.

I think you should take the advice you were given a few days ago: find out the
CFM requirements of the sandblaster you want to operate, and buy a compressor
capable of supplying that much air.

* * * * That makes sense.

* * * * Good luck,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

I have a 100 amp sub panel in my garage. The guy said he would take
1000 for it. Or, I can buy a harbor freight with a gas engine for the
same price but alot smaller tank. Not sure if a gas engine one would
be as good though. I can get a big electric moel at harbor freight for
the same, but I think it had 15 or so cfm at 90.

What would you guys do for a home shop? I would like to be able to
paint on projects and sandblast. I am really wanting to fix up my dual
axle trailer. Right now I have a 5 horse 110 compressor (sealed pump_
from Serars. It just doe snot cut it.