Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Soot on Ceiling

John Grabowski wrote:
OK, I thought this would be easy. There was some black soot near a
ceiling register from an oil furnace. So, I got on a ladder with a damp
sponge, thinking I could just wipe it off.

Well, it didnšt quite work our that way. The ceiling is smooth painted
sheetrock, and trying to wipe off the soot just spread it out and made
it worse. I then tried cleaners like Fantastic, they didnšt do much.
So now I have an area with waves of grey in an otherwise white ceiling.

So, does anyone have any ideas of how to clean up this mess, short of
repainting the ceiling?

*There is a product out by Mr Clean called the "Magic Eraser". It is a
chemically treated sponge. I carry one on my truck and have always had
good results. Many grocery stores and Wal Mart sells them.

I didn't know the magic eraser had any chemicals to clean with. It does
have a fine abrasive, and automotive polishing compound seems to do the
same job, at about 1/100 of the price.