Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jerry wass jerry wass is offline

Default Balancing a fan

spaco wrote:
How about this for a hypothesis:
There is nothing at all wrong with the fan, itself. Something got
sucked in and is stuck between a couple of blades.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------

Karl Townsend wrote:
I got so much help on my sprayer, I'm trying again...

Full time investigation and part replacement has me working on this
theory of the problem cause: The squirrel cage fan is out of balance.
It is barely detectable because the fan has a 2" solid steel shaft and
some serious pillow block bearings mounted solid to a beefy frame. At
the resonate RPM, this imbalance feeds on the slack in the drive line.
Any system upset causes the fan to become unstable and it lurches back
and forth.

I've called around and not found a place to dynamic balance something
like this. Are there any home brew methods? Or other suggestions? Its
built so solid I don't think I'm looking for a minor imbalance.

Karl

Very astute guess , Pete, probably a rat or snake ..Jerrry