Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Balancing a fan

Karl Townsend wrote:

wrote in message
On May 14, 5:17 pm, " wrote:
On May 14, 10:07 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Are there any home brew methods? Or other suggestions? Its built so
solid I don't think I'm looking for a minor imbalance.

Karl

Jim Pentagrid recently posted about how he balanced a bench grinder
using a small computer speaker with a lump of clay added to turn it
into an acceleromete
I will try to find the thread for you.

Dan

Orthoganol balancing - twinwheel grinders July 2009

Dan

I've been driving around St.Cloud today. Found a place that balances
flywheels and drive shafts out of large earth construction equipment, My
dinky 40 horse fan with only a two inch shaft is a toy for them.

Excellent.

Anyway, I'll tear the whole machine down to indivdual parts. Then I can
recheck runnout of each individual component also. probelm is, i know I'll
find runnout when I check this accurately.

It's not aerospace stuff, so it won't be perfect. The trick is in
comparing the amount of runout measured to the parts location in the
drivetrain to determine if the runout is significant.