Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default Popcorn

Did yo
wrote in message
On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:39:57 -0400, "h"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

It takes a lot of education and disipline, though. A lot of people
passively just let doctors and meds do it all. That's invariably a bad
route to follow.

My step-dad was a type I diabetic his entire life. He had all sorts of
related problems as he got older such as bad eyes, wounds that wouldn't
heal, poor circulation, etc., but never once had an insulin issue and was
always trim. I remember when the Atkins Diet first came out in the 80s. My
dad laughed and said, "So, someone's finally figured out that a diabetic
diet keeps you thin!" I was a ballet dancer and no one could figure out
how
I "stayed so thin" while eating steak and salad with bleu cheese dressing.
Umm...because that whole meal has less than 10 grams of carbs (most of it
from the veggies) while the baked potato with cottage cheese the low-fat
bunch ate has nearly 40 grams.

I don't think I've ever met someone who had "just" diabetes, and no
other health issues.

Again, type I, not Type II, which is not an actual disease (broken Pancreas)
but rather a lifestyle screwup. Those morons never get off the couch and
live on sugar.

My Step-Dad was born with a busted Pancreas. He learned, early on, that he
COULD NOT eat sugar/carbs, and never did so. He even served in the military
in WWII, and they KNEW he had diabetes! His skills were that valuable! I am
VERY happy that I learned to live on a "diabetic/low-carb" diet in my teen
years. If not, I would probably have been too fat to have been a dancer and
I would have been a "normal" blimpy "'mercan". I would rather die than claim
that moniker. Of course, that was all 25-35 years ago