Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default How to Clean Concrete Garage Floor

On May 14, 6:50*am, wrote:
On May 14, 6:55*am, ransley wrote:

On May 13, 9:13*pm, SMS wrote:

I have new tenants moving into a townhouse I own, and the garage floor
looks bad after 27 years of oil stains etc. I tried pressure washing it,
but it really made no difference since I guess the oil has soaked in.

What are the options here? Paint, those garage floor squares? Or is
there a chemical cleaner I should try?

I thought everyone knew, paint wont bond to oil

Yes, exactly. *As Reed suggested, I'd try using one of the cleaners
specifically made to remove oil from concrete. *Since it's that bad
after 27 years, I would not attempt painting it even after cleaning it.

My garage floor was so crapped up from leaking oil of 80 years it took
my two workers all day, with 200$ in cleaners and acid, a power
washer, and a floor buffer-scrubber to get it clean to take a finish,
we cleaned, then cleaned again and again. I did it right, 20 years
later the HC oil concrete stain has only worn from traffic, but to
redo it would be a days job to clean it again.