Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default Grout or Caulk at shower/tub line?

On May 11, 5:13*pm, "JimT" wrote:
wrote in message

m...

Jay-T wrote:
I am having new ceramic tile installed on my shower/tub surround. *The
job is being done well -- with cement backer board etc.

My question is about the 1/8-inch gap between the bottom of the ceramic
tile and the existing cast iron tub. *Should that space be filled with
grout and then use 100% silicone caulk, or should there be no grout there
and only use 100% silicone caulk?

I've lived with all types of tub/wall seals and they were all crap but for
silicone caulk. *If caulk is applied to an absolutely clean surface, put
on smooth, it won't have mildew problems. *If there is soap buildup or
poor ventilation, it will get mildewy. *Scrubbing Bubbles is great for
cleaning tile/tubs.

Corners where wall meets wall, floor or tub should be able to FLEX. *The
thing about filling a tub prior to caulking is, I think, an urban
legend.....looks good on paper ) *If the tub moves, there is more of a
problem than caulk.

I've never heard of that either. Any movement would be takin care of by the
caulk.

To the OP: Caulk around the tub and in the corners of the wall if tiled.

Yes, anywhere two planes or dissimilar materials meet. Tile stores
(not home centers) have caulk, sanded and un-sanded, that will match
the grout closely.