Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Craigslist murderers

Jay Hanig wrote in
:

On 5/13/2010 6:51 PM, aemeijers wrote:

If there was some way to magically make ALL the handguns vanish, at the
same time, I would agree with you. (and along with the guns, the
knowledge to make them- any half-competent machine shop can turn out a
servicable weapon in a couple of hours.) But you can't unring the bell-
they are out there, and there is no way to make them not be out here.
Unlike countries that nominally bow to the queen, if the government here
told everyone to line up and meekly turn them in, at best it would get
ignored, and at worst could lead to revolution. (Although I suspect a
lot of people in UK, CA, Oz, etc, turned in Grandpa's old fowling piece,
and quietly packed their modern arms away someplace safe.)

Sorry, but I don't feel noble enough to disarm myself first. My family
already had to flee halfway around the damn planet once. Ain't gonna
happen again. Nobody is in any danger from any weapon I own, unless of
course they show up pointing one at me.

That's it in a nutshell. I completely agree.

Jay

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and
law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own
conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the
law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the
lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by
forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected
behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals
to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."
---------- Jeff Snyder

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik