Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default MIN DISTANCE FROM EDGE OF SINK TO NEAREST ELECTRIC OUTLET

On Thu, 13 May 2010 20:22:56 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2010 16:45:24 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob)
"
wrote:

On May 13, 6:32*pm, aemeijers wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
On May 13, 5:15 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

I am helping an elderly lady get her house ready to sell. *There is an
electrical outlet in the wall about 26 inches from the nearest point
of the sink. *I know it has been mentioned here many many times, but
I'm too tired to go scratching around. *What is the minimum distance
from the sink to an outlet that is not Ground Fault protected?
Thanks,
The more interesting thing is that by current code, if that outlet is 26"
from the sink, you'd need another one 2" from the sink.

The current outlets are nowhere near as dense as current code, but the
house is80+ years old. *I know any home inspector will want GFCI's
near the sink, but you did not say what that minimum safe distance is.

Is there a ground available in the box? If so, stick a GFCI in there,
and I don't think the inspector will even check the distance to the
sink. He'll just stick his little checker in there, and when it glows
green, move *on to the next one.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I haven't checked to see if there is a ground or not. Part of the
house is very old BX, some modifications are 14/2 with ground.
I'll check with my VOM and see how things look. The bathroom outlet
on the side of the vanity is 14/2 G so changing that out should be
easy. Some of the older BX wires are so stiff with age that they will
be a challange to change.

In the kitchen, I am only going to replace the two duplex units that
are closest to the sink, all other outlets are at least 6 feet from
the nearest point of the sink. The hardest part is going to be
working in close quarters as the sink box seems to be very shallow, I
will have to check to make sure they are deep enough to handle the
GFCI depth.

If this is a breaker panel it is probably easier just putting the
whole circuit on a GFCI breaker

This sounds like the safest way to go.
Breakers are more expensive though.
You stand a chance in getting the fridge on a GFI which I think is a
bad idea.