Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polytics.

Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/05/10 22:59, Falco wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
'The Deal' looks good to me.

That is all....

Problem is, "that is not all", nor does "the deal look good" - from
what I
heard on the early news this morning William Haig has said that there
are
plans afoot to "pass a law" preventing the dissolution of this
coalition of
idiots for the next 5 years.

My understanding is this means the PM cannot request a dissolution of
Parliament *when it suits him* but he must stay the full 5 years,
*unless* there is a vote of no confidence in the Government, in which
case 55% or more MP could vote to force an election.

I think you are correct, and I think I like that too.

Seems perfectly sensible to me. Fixed election, no fiddling the dates
and the ultimate sanction remains - and note, they are not increasing
the term of Government. If they had, that may well look dodgey.

Yup

Although, I wonder if a Government with a massive majority could "no
confidence" itself when convenient?

Normally it just dissolves parliament and calls an election: That is the
governments prerogative. Here they have ceded that prerogative in
exchange for a guarantee that the LibDems wont force the issue with a no
confidence vote.

My cynicism is only matched by the scumminess of politicians.

I dunno. I've seen scummy politicians all my life, and although there is
a slight veneer of slime on Cleggover, I think Cameron plays with a
fairly straight bat, smart enough not to need to lie. Cant really think
of a PM that I feel was more honest..John Major maybe, but he was never
given a chance.

I could be wrong, but I wasn't about T Bliar. He stank of bull**** from
the first. I really hoped Broon would be better, but although he was
more principled, he was terminally stupid, and extremely boring and dull
and he knew it and hated it and took it out on everyone around him.

It's taken a long time for the Tories to repair the damage Thatcher did.
She fixed the country, but she destroyed the conservatives for a
generation. There are still a few blow hards that need slinging out,
even now.