Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default OT - new political idea

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

"anorton" wrote in message

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
Since the people that want religious freedom can't agree with the rest
of the nation, why don't we just split. Those wanting religious
freedom can have their own country to run the way they want. Then they
can see if God blesses their country that acknowledges God. Maybe
their constitution can declare that their government not establish a
church but exclude "Separation of Church and State". Maybe they can
have a pledge of allegiance that says "One nation under God" and put
"In God we Trust" on their money. Maybe they can be free to place
nativity scenes on public property, post the Ten Commandments, and have
a Bible in their schools.

I believe God would bless such a nation, I believe it would become a
great nation. But then, others would see how blessed that nation is,
and they would want to come in and enjoy the prosperity but not thank
the God that blessed it. Those who don't believe in the things that
made the nation great would infiltrate it and destroy it from the
inside. They wouldn't be part of what made the nation great, they
would be part of what destroyed the great nation. Just like it
happened in the USA.

RogerN

I am aware of exactly three countries today that will meet your needs:

The Vatican
Israel
Saudi Arabia

Take your pick - They are all good countries for those who believe

So, according to Roger, it looks many of the founding fathers are the
ones that destroyed this country. They clearly would not pass his litmus
test:
http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?id=6177

No, the problem I have is with those who took what the founding fathers
wrote and changed the meaning of it. Such as Thomas Jefferson, one of the
least religious of the founding fathers, attended church services in a
government building and gave government money to missionaries. Do you
think the ACLU would have a problem with that today?

RogerN

That is not what you were talking about before. You said:

But then, others would see how blessed that nation is, and they would
want to come in and enjoy the prosperity but not thank the God that
blessed it. Those who don't believe in the things that made the nation
great would infiltrate it and destroy it from the inside.

As deists, many of the founding fathers did not believe god blessed or
cursed anything. They believed once he created the world and its natural
laws, he no longer interfered. Therefore according to you since they did not
believe God made this nation great, and did not God for it, they were
destroying the country from the inside.

As for Jefferson funding missionaries, this was hardly religiously
motivated. It was part of a policy of either assimilating or relocating
Indians.
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/dat...y.cfm?HHID=638
I think none of this would fly today nor should it.