Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Default Polytics.

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:03:33 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 13/05/10 15:00, Frank Erskine wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:48:12 +0100, Tim wrote:

* New independent schools in state sector - "free schools" - to be set up

Maintained grammar schools again?

I'm all for that.

AOL Me too /AOL

Just wondered if that is what they actually meant...

I don't think it is, because both parties have a presumption against
selective schools, although many traditional Tories are still very
much in favour.

The schools local to me in Buckinghamshire are still selective.
Primary school pupils sit the 11+ exam to see which school they will
go to. What I find interesting is that, while it is no surprise that
Buckinghamshire's grammar schools have high academic standards, the
non-grammar schools still produce results that are significantly above
the national average for all schools.