Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default Popcorn

On May 13, 12:10*am, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In , * wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2010 02:21:13 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

* (edited for space by me, )

In , *z wrote:
On 5/11/10 13:37:51 -07/PDT, Evan wrote:

On May 11, 2:15*pm, "h" wrote:
Suing someone for your idiocy is absurd and you will never make it
past the motions stage of the process...

And yet, the woman who spilled hot coffee on her crotch, after removing the
lid while driving the car, sued Micky D's. Successfully.

Yes... That was because there was no valid reason for McDonald's to
serve the coffee that hot (literally just a few degrees shy of 212ºF
which is BOILING water) out of cups which could result in a spill
even when they were used and handled properly... *Poor choices
made by McDonald's to keep the coffee VERY hot to reduce waste
and save a few bucks resulted in providing customers with a very
hazardous beverage until it cooled down quite a bit... *That is why
they ended up paying damages in that famous case...

Bull****. *The coffee was a (then) standard 180F.

Before calling "bull****" make sure you have the facts straight. You don't.

The coffee was 185, not 180.

Ok, 185 is *NOT* 212, either.

180 was not "standard". And 180 is more than hot
enough to cause very serious burns.

You're full of ****, too. *At the time, the *SPECIFICATION* for Dunkin' Donuts
coffee was 180F +/- 3F. *180F coffee is very much the standard brewing/serving
temperature for coffee.

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Nov/1/129862.html
http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

* How 'bout I take my favorite thermometer into "day-job work" with me
this coming Friday and I check out the temperature of the coffee that I
purchase from Dunkin Donuts on a "usually weekly Friday late-afternoon
run" on behalf of and reimbursed by the owner of my "day job" workplace?

* That particular Dunkin Donuts would have its address being some odd
number in the 3400's of Walnut St in Philadelphia PA USA, with zip code
of 19104.

* I did just now put this thermometer into the backpack that I commute
with to/from my "day job", usually by bicycle.

* I dare to do so because my "day job" has a Bunn "Pour-O-Matic" that
delivers coffe that gets served at temperature more like 158 F even mere
seconds after going into either a plastic mug or a styrofoam cup. *That
is according to the above-mentioned thermometer!

DD dialed down their serving temperature, too, after McDs got bitch
slapped. It's barely warm enough to drink on the spot.