Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Polytics.

Donwill wrote:
On 12/05/2010 22:08, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
'The Deal' looks good to me.

That is all....

A case where the whole is better than the individual parts I think, good
luck to them I say.
Let's hope that they can sort it.

My fear is that it is unsortable, actually.

But I believe we have the best chance with what we now have. I don't
rate the LibDems much, but they carry 23% of the vote, and that gives
the whole shebang more perceived legitimacy, and may in effect allow
them to be MORE drastic than the Tories alone would ever have dared.

It's one thing to come up with measures and have a bloc that commands
more votes than you, shout you down: But to have two parties agreeing
that its the only way, with a minority whingeing from across the
benches, is a lot easier to deal with.

I believe this is why Cameron and the boys made such an insanely
generous offer to get the coalition. They truly believe its necessary,
and that if they couldn't entirely convince the electorate, they could
at least convince the LibDems.

I also truly believe that for a time at least, tribalism has been set
aside for the good of the nation. And that is probably really what we
voted for, after all.

Until such time as it reappears, I am in support of the current arrangement.

This is uncharted territory, but at least we have some pragmatic brains
on the case.

Not a bunch of troughing dinosaurs whose sole claim to power is that a
bunch of community wurkahs and unemployed smack heads reckoned they were
a softer touch than anyone else.

Cheers
Don