Andy Dingley

Default OT - Use grate in Rumford fireplace...?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:42:18 -0500, Kenneth
wrote:

Is it wise to use a conventional fireplace grate in a well designed
Rumford fireplace?

Maybe I'm missing some terminology here ?

Why should the type of grate make any difference to a Rumford ?
Rumford's rules specify the design of the smokebox, particularly its
narrow depth and the use of a shelf. It's not a specific sort of
grate.

Although that said, I'm assuming you mean a grate that's open, rather
than a more modern closed smokeless fuel stove, or a metal box
woodburner with baffles.
--
Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.