Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default hp officejet J5780 error: 'turn power off and on again'

On May 11, 10:07*pm, "William R. Walsh" wrote:
Hi!

Make sure the sensing stripe that runs behind the print carriage is in
place. Also carefully check the print carriage for anything that might
be jamming it, such as broken piece of plastic or foreign object.

If the sensing strip is broken, dirty or missing, the printer may not
work at all or it may make a truly nasty grinding plastic noise.

William

Thanks William. I checked all that. printer mech was fine, I opened it
up and moved everything about, cleaned the strip just in case. Even
with the motors disconnected it still went through the same error
procedure, so sounds more like an electronic fault.
Anyway, it's all academic now as I've stripped it for parts. some nice
springs and rubber bits in there!
regards,