Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Grout or Caulk at shower/tub line?

On May 10, 8:23�pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
harry wrote:
On May 10, 6:44?pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am having new ceramic tile installed on my shower/tub surround.
?The job is being done well -- with cement backer board etc.

My question is about the 1/8-inch gap between the bottom of the
ceramic tile and the existing cast iron tub. ?Should that space be
filled with grout and then use 100% silicone caulk, or should there
be no grout there and only use 100% silicone caulk?

As there could be movement between the tub & the wall you need
silicone caulk or better still there exists soft plastic "angle piece"
with a fin that goes under the bottom tile and rests on the tub. A
permanent stain resistant solution that never leaks, cracks, comes
unstuck �or goes hard.
�(At least it exists in the UK. Most of the stuff I see on the net is
about caulk in America. Maybe you don't have it)

Thanks. �Maybe the "angle piece" is a UK thing. �I found this YouTube video
that I think shows what you are referring to at about the 1:24 minute point
in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J-mPhNlyBo- Hide quoted text -

Yep, that's the stuff. You can't beat it. Easy to clean and you
never have the cracking/gaps appearing problem. Looks neat and comes
in lots of colours. Nobody uses grout or "caulk" over here any more.
The flange that rests on the tub is soft and pliable and fits the bath
tub contours exactly.
Caulk is old hat. Hey, maybe there's an angle if you don't have it!