Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement of old MAIN all-fuse panel with a circut breakerpanel

On May 11, 12:27�pm, wrote:
On Tue, 11 May 2010 09:16:22 -0700 (PDT), Evan

wrote:
On May 9, 10:47�pm, Hat wrote:
I have installed CB sub-panels many a times with no problem because I
can disconnect the live wires at the main panel. �In the old house I
am fixing, I need to replace the all-fuse MAIN panel with a new CB
panel. �Do I need to contact the power company to disconnect the
juice, or is there another way of doing it? �I do not want to mess
with the 240 volt supply because it may hurt a bit (i.e., kill me).
BTW: how do certified electricians go about disconnecting �the live
wires before doing a similar job? �Thanks

Is it your old house ? �If yes then if you can safely do the work
(which isn't recommended because you would have to kill the
power by undoing or cutting the feeder cables near the service
entry head to make even the meter socket enclosure totally
safe to work in) go nuts... �If you are NOT the homeowner and
you are doing work on this "old house" for its owner, then you
can't do that type of project for them without an electrical
license...

Replacing an electrical panel is not "handyman work"...

Upgrading an old fuse panel to a new circuit breaker panel
is not as easy as it seems and might require replacement
of the main feeder wiring all the way up to the service drop
from the utility pole where you make the connections to
the wires for the meter socket at the service head... �This
could include installation of a new metering socket if the
old service was not 200 amps as well as having the power
company having to install larger gauge drop wires to feed
your property...

But if you think its simple, go nuts... �Its only someone's
home that will burn down if you don't do every aspect of
the project correctly...

~~ Evan

If he is replacing "like with like" there is no issue with the service
drop or any cabling. IF he is capable of removing the main fuse holder
and taping up the ends of the wire, it IS possible to change the panel
with it live.
I've done it severalt times - but you DO need to bw carefull, and you
DO need to know how to work safely with live circuits. You DO need to
have a lot of respect for electrons!.

When the cables are disconnected and taped, remove the old panel -
then feen the taped cables into the new panel and connect to the main
breaker - and securely fasten the panel to the service board. Then
re-enter all the branch circuits.

It IS safer to have the meter pulled and work on it "dead" if at all
possible.
I have seen meter seals popped off and re-installed ( if they are the
plastic type they often break on their own from weathering) �and some
utilities use a "generic" seal, while others use "personalized" seals
with their name on them so they can easily identify tampering.- Hide quoted text -

I have pulled meters its no biggie and far safer than working live!!!

Duquesne light didnt care as long as I informed them the next day.

A fuse broke off in its holder the glass seperated from the base.

around here they no longer look at meters to read them just drive up
the street