Posted to alt.home.repair

Default String trimmer spool that won't keep "breaking"?

On May 11, 12:08*pm, Roy wrote:
On May 11, 7:41*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On May 10, 3:09*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

"mike" wrote in message

Thanks Colbyt and J Burns.

So, what are some good models available today at a Big Box store like
Lowes or Home Depot? I'd be fine using my Troybilt with just the
blower, edger, and tiller/cultivator attachments I already own. This
is for home and not commercial use. Should I be looking at a
commercial-grade model? If so, what model, where, and what should I
expect to pay? Surely those who landscape for a living aren't using a
model like mine--at least I hope not.

All you need is a new fast loader type head for your SS Troybilt. *That is
exactly what I am using. *Paid $15 and about 2 hours to install it
differently than the package depicted. Taller guys might like there way of
doing it but it did not suit me. *Would be a 20 minute install if you own
the pin ring pliers and want to do it their way.

This is what I bought:http://www.lowes.com/pd_79964-42694-...true&catalogId...

Just in case that link does not work lowes.com and search for this item:
Shakespeare *Fast Loader Replacement String Trimmer Head
Item #: 79964 *| *Model #: 16267

Colbyt

Depends a lot on your usage. *I trim up agains the house a lot and it
has a brick foundation. *I go through a fair amount of string and the
precuts would be a real pain as well as expensive.

How you wind the string on the trimmer has a lot to do with how well
it feeds off. *Try to put the string on with the same established turn
that it comes out of the package with. *Sometimes it helps to precut a
long piece of it to make that easier.

==
Who ever "invents" the !@#$% spools and their "bump" and grind your
teeth advance gizmo should USE the damned things for a day to see how
they DON'T bloody well work. I've had different string trimmers,
mostly electric and one gas and none of them work worth a fiddler's
damn. I will try some of the replacement gizmos this summer as there
are about a half dozen or so on the market now.

I don't disagree that the bump and feed is problematic. ****es me off
regularly. But I have not found a reasonable alternative. The
precuts aren't any good unless all you trim is out in the open. If
you have to work against concrete or brick they just get eaten up too
fast.