Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default SANSUI AU-D55X protection Light

On Tue, 11 May 2010 01:04:54 -0700, Brasto wrote:

On 10 mei, 18:16, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 09 May 2010 06:57:21 -0700, Brasto wrote:
I have a Sansui AU-D55X amplifier which when pressing POWER-ON shows
a RED Flashing light labelled Protection. The light will flash aprox
10 times in 5 seconds before the speakers are switched on and sound
is heard.
The Amplifier performs flawlessly in all functions and outputs
selected. I just donot know whether such a delayed start is normal or
not, more over as the original owner stated that it behaved that way
since day one....

I like the idea of ...If it ain't broken, do not fix it, I have no
Operating Instructions so I am not sure.....it could be a self test?

Most protection circuits wait a few seconds for voltages to equalize
and then allow the speakers to be connected to the amplifier. I would
say the 5 second delay is perfectly normal.

OK, friends most of your advices and comments reinforce my idea that
there is really nothing wrong with my amplifier. In the meantime I
checked as a precaution the DC-offset at the speaker terminals and the
Bias setting driving the Main. All measurements indicated no anomalies,
so I guess it is safe to state that a blinking PROTECTION light at
start-up of my Sansui AU- D55X is a NORMAL indication provided the
speaker relay is activated in ~~5 seconds...

So..If it ain't broken, I cannot fix it....

TY
Brasto

I used to do Sansui warranty and found their equipment very sensitive
regarding self testing designs. Meaning that the slightest little problem
kept any protection circuit active. I was always given the tough-dog
Sansui units since nobody else had the patience, dedication and
experience to repair them.