Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Grout or Caulk at shower/tub line?

On May 10, 3:04*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Should one fill the tub with water before applying caulk/silicone/
whatever?
I've heard that's good to avoid vertical cracking.

I didn't, because my tub is adequately supported and doesn't sink more than
an insignificant fraction when filled with water.

It's SOP, at the "professional" level of the trade, as is dampening
the joints, as is making sure the tub/wall joint is full by using a
finger.

For OP: use caulk at the tub/tile transition, and at every wall change of
plane (if tiling the walls). *Grout is only used between individual tiles in
the same plane.

Not by anyone I ever heard of.

I've examined 3 walls over the tub tiled 1930-60 still sound as the
day after they were grouted.
-----

- gpsman