Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt[_7_] Matt[_7_] is offline

Default Best insecticide

HeyBub wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've heard on the radio, that DDT is a lot more effective,
and a lot less toxic to humans than what the government
says. Certainly, a trace of DDT is a lot less dangerous than
malaria, and other insect bourne diseases.

Actually, I don't think the government has ever said DDT *IS* toxic to
humans. I recall there were people who were EATING DDT to prove its benign
nature.

For example, the toxicity secion of the Wikipedia article on DDT lists
several situations. In most, some weasel word is used:
* "might cause preterm birth"
* "studies suggest..."
* "some evidence to suggest..."
* "exposure is associated..."
* "may affect thyroid levels..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT#Dev...ctive_toxicity

Good link.

That Wikipedia article is very enlightening and would easily convince
most people that spraying DDT is generally a bad idea.

But why was DDT banned? As I recall, laboratory rats, when force-fed five
pounds of DDT per day, developed distended bellies and became lethargic.

I wouldn't be surprise if you do remember that.

There was some evidence that the Star-faced mole (who doesn't REALLY have a
face) developed teats when DDT was used in its environment.

Pic of Star-faced mole:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/973/s...le1360x673.jpg