Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default IC-28A transmit section carnage

On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:41:35 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:

On May 8, 9:34Â*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
If the failed electro really was the cause of Q17 failing, then the
unit should work after replacing it and Q17.

However, if Q17 still overheats then suspect the SC1019 module is
blown.

... Â*Phil

Thanks, Phil. That's also the conclusion I've come to, so it's nice to
get a bit of a sanity check that I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Right now I'm working under the theory that the SC1019 module is OK,
because I otherwise can't explain why C54 would be burned to a crisp. A
bad PA module could cause excessive current through Q17 but it shouldn't
have affected that capacitor.

I'll let you know what happens when I put it back together.

If you have some way to limit current, use it. I have a supply that I can
dial in from 0 to 35 amps and it comes in real handy