Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Surgeons and holy rollers

harry wrote:
On May 10, 3:33�am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Tony wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Next time you're in the states, please try to visit a Pentacostal or
Baptist congregation. Some of them are a lot of fun to watch. Others,
more subdued.
I'm in Baptist country. �Scary! �For example a nice friendly billboard
sign they put up. �It's all black with white letters and reads "Believe
in Jesus or LIVE IN ETERNAL HELL". �Just a friendly little reminder as
you enter their town.

I love my Southern Baptist cousins, they're so much fun to tease. I
can say "hello" to a Southern Baptist woman and she's offended because
"hell" is a swear word and "O" is a sexual reference.

TDD

I was watching "Aljazeera" the other day. There's always lots about
America on, they love to report the whackier aspects of American life.
This particular thing was a place like a football stadium, there was
some sort of religious service. It was filled with thousands of US
troops with their eyes shut, waving their hands in the air and
moaning. Some religious nut was up front ranting away. They had all
brought their weapons to be blessed. I can't recall which part of
America it was from.
The thrust of the argument was that American s are evil religious
nuts. Hard to disagree when they could display pictures like these.

And I don't suppose the piece addressed how few Americans actually
belong to a church, and even of the ones that do, how many only go 2-3
times a year? Lots of people claim to be religious when when answering a
survey, because they think it is the 'proper' thing to say. But in
reality, they are ambivalent about it at best. Of course, those people
don't make good video clips, so you never hear about them. There are
pockets of hard-core religious folk, although few of them are dangerous
to anyone but themselves. Most people simply shrug and get on with their
lives.

--
aem sends...