Posted to sci.electronics.repair
saber850 saber850 is offline

Default LCD Desktop Monitor Fading to White, then Black

On May 9, 11:12*am, saber850 wrote:
On May 7, 9:06*pm, "Dav.p." wrote:

Hi, i'm new here and sorry 4 my poor english, first of all this long flame seems to me much
out of site (? exagerate..?), too much word maybe for a very simple problem, i'm not a tech
but from the first agree with talks of *J.Liebermann, the strange thing i spect from somone that
suspected the main 5v line that ususally supply the graphic/video chip, so is not (for me) a bad
idea to test the 5v line on the psu connector to the v.board since you don't found any bulged/
dirt capacitor, and if you find the v changes according to the fades then go to order caps, if not
try at least to measure on the regulator on v.board to see if exit 3,3v fixed or some like it.
I don't agree to what said, it's a luck that you have 2 equal monitor so in the last if you don't
find culprit you can swap boards and see

bye bye.

Yes, I've been considering swapping one of the boards between the
monitors. *This seems like the easiest way to narrow down the problem.

I swapped the power boards in the monitors. The "good" monitor
immediately exhibited the problem that the previously malfunctioning
one did, while the "bad" monitor works fine (at least, so far). So
I'm confident that the problem is from the power board, and given this
thread and some web sites, I'll start w/ the caps. Now that I had
both power boards to examine, I also noticed that the C110 and C111
caps were replaced by Samsung when I sent the monitor in for repair
earlier this year (the last month of its warranty). I'll get the
specs of all caps today, find corresponding parts on DigiKey, and post
back here for confirmation.

I will research this topic on the web, but are the Polymer caps
entirely superior to electrolyte ones? Are there drawbacks to polymer
caps?