Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunsmith question (blackening)

On Sun, 09 May 2010 06:42:33 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 22:52:42 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote the following:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 15:36:30 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 13:29:40 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 08 May 2010 11:04:27 -0500, Ignoramus9556
wrote:

I have a little 20 gauge shotgun that has some rust on the barrel. It
is functional despite that, but I would like to clean it up a bit. I
would like to know what is the proper procedure. I guess I can remove
rust and even polish it a bit, but then I would somehow blacken the
barrel again. Is there anything that you would recommend for this sort
of thing. Thanks

Take a nice new brass bore brush, about 35 caliber for a rifle..and
simply brush away the rust with a bit of WD40. If you want to make it
"pretty"..get a bottle of G96 instant Blue and with a clean bore
pad..wipe it on. Follow directions of course.

Any of the Instant blues are ok..some are better than others

"VAN'S INSTANT GUN BLUE " is one of the best.

Gunner

Oh..if you want Black...cold black oxide is fairly cheap and works well.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

$19.95 for a 4oz gel kit.

Gunner

I didn't know Caswell had come out with that 4 oz gel. I've used their
cold black oxide on a number of projects and have always been pleased
with the results. I've had more consistent results with that than
with any of the Birchwood-Casey or Brownell's products. Photo of one
example at
http://members.goldengate.net/dforeman/rifle_bolt/

That's "black", Don?!? Also, most commercial black oxide I've seen
(on screws and bolts) is matte, often with oil added.

I used Birchwood-Casey's Perma Blue on my ancient Winchester .22, but
it seemed to almost wipe right off. It didn't last on the sear but a
minute. The Winchester is "browned", my favorite shade of gunmetal.

Later I ordered some Manganese Phosphate Parkerizing Solution from
Midway, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

The sear is case hardened. Its not surprising it didnt take bluing.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.