Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Collet closer

Pete Keillor wrote:

On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:06:25 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

When you get the MT4.5 adaptor and a L00 nose protector you likely will get it to work.

Here is the problem. I'm using a home made drawbar set up and it works but there is no
place left for a micrometer stop for accurate turning to length.

I'd be better off with a nose mounted collet chuck if I had the money to buy a set up.
That would leave room on the bed for the micrometer stop.

I have a 6903 so we are talking about the same situation at the spindle end.

Wes

Wes, I'm lost. My micrometer stop/2" travel indicator clamp to the
ways and work against the side of the apron. They don't interfere at
all with my homemade handwheel collet closer. Got a pic?

Pete Keillor

You have a Rockwell. I have a Clausing 6903 the shorter version of the 6913 that Iggy
has. BTW, thanks for posting the pictures.

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...04924_crop.jpg

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...C04926_VGA.jpg

That shows how much room I would have when machining near the collet face.

There is all of two inches left and the gearbox is at about the same level as the apron.

http://www.garage-machinist.com/usen...19_drawbar.jpg

My humble but lovable draw bar. Wally world 2 1/2 lb weight plate purchased years ago for
a hand wheel. Needle bearing and washers from Mc Masters and two spacers. The original
spacer was just too darn short to get a good grip on the hand wheel.

Wes