Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Surgeons who know how to use concrete saws!

Tony wrote:
wrote:
harry wrote:
On May 8, 3:51�pm, Tony wrote:
Peter wrote:
I grew up in a major urban East coast city that felt as though it
were a
miniature United Nations. �Multiple accents, cooking smells, ethnic
restaurants, houses of worship, etc. bred tolerance and intellectual
curiosity. �Fast pace of life, work fast, get out of work fast, play
fast, talk fast, eat fast, etc.
When I spoke on the phone to internet friends in the UK and in Holland,
they both told me I didn't sound like they thought I would. �They
seem
to believe we all are fast talking city dwellers.

The trouble is, you send all this crap out into the world and people
take it as face value.
I think the most surprising thing to me was the poverty I saw in my
travels. And how no-one cares about it.

Nobody cares about poverty? Surely you jest ) Most poor/homeless
are that way, not by direct choice but by life
choices....drugs/alcohol are the worst problem this country has, and I
believe the UK has the same. There are homeless camps in Florida, and
the overflow sleep on park benches and in wooded areas around the
cities. I see people standing on the curb with signs asking for $;
hell, there are jobs, training programs, educ. assistance, etc. Gotta
be clean.

There recently was a woman in Tampa jailed for contempt (go, judge!)
because the judge asked her if she was pregnant and she would not
answer. She has FIFTEEN children and had been evicted from her rental
home.

Up in PA, maybe just a few counties, or maybe statewide? They made a
law that if you are on welfare and then have more children, your welfare
check does NOT increase! Should be nationwide! Some women are baby
machines to support themselves. Sounds like the judge found another one.

Can't take it out on the kid because Mama is an idiot. Kid has to eat
and have a place to sleep. Kindest thing for those kids would be to take
them away at birth and give them to a real household (where they have an
example of what an adult acts like), but the government isn't competent
to do that, nor am I comfortable with the government assuming that level
of power. So, a problem with no good solution.

--
aem sends...