Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Surgeons who know how to use concrete saws!

harry wrote:

In the UK we tend to think of Americans as rich, however it was
surprising to me how many are of modest means. I traveled around on
the buses, interesting who you can meet.
Never got to go to a religious nut festival, that would be
interesting. (Holy rollers???)

Depends on your definition of "modest."

Those whom the government classifies as "poor" still own:

* A color TV
* An automobile
* A cell-phone
* Many own their home but all have a place to sleep
* Indoor plumbing
* Several kitchen appliances, such as a toaster or dishwasher
* A DVD player and probably a game box
* A pet for whom they provide the necessities
* Roller skates

and other possessions which qualify them far more opulent than most of the
people of the world.

The "modest" of whom you speak may not display the outward trappings of
wealth, but they've got it (compared to other residents of the planet). They
have it in home equity, savings, college education for their children, and
so forth. I suspect the "average," middle-class American could put up
$250,000 worth of cash or collateral in an emergency.

Heck, the "average" American could probably raise $5,000 this coming
week-end in a garage sale!