Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Replacing old garage door remote

On May 9, 7:13*am, Harlan Messinger
wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On May 8, 7:16 pm, ransley wrote:
On May 8, 6:51 pm, Harlan Messinger

wrote:
Because, even though I've changed the remote code a couple of times, my
garage door has recently opened "by itself" several times, I bought a
Genie Intellicode replacement remote opener. I'm supposed to deactivate
the current radio. My current apparatus is combined Sears unit with a
button to open the door directly and a radio to respond to the remote.. A
photo is athttp://www.gavelcade.com/opener.jpg.
I'm supposing that the upper part, the part that's opened out in the
photo, is the radio. The pushbutton is underneath it. If I snip the two
red wires, will that deactivate the radio while leaving the pushbutton
operational?
Is there any reason why what I'm trying to do won't work?
My door used to open by itself, like when the weather changed or it
got hot, it was only the travel adjustment , this was what was
recommended I try from Tech support which guided me through the
adjustment. I bet your issue is not the remote but something else like
mine.

Same here. *Old garage, old concrete floor that is cracked -up/down-
with weather changes. *Had to ease off the down limit pressure.

Wow. If that's the problem, then replacing the remote sure won't fix it.
But, um--what does a travel adjustment look like? It's an old Sears
opener; I wouldn't know whom to call for tech support.- Hide quoted text -

Mine had maybe 3 adjustments, up and down travel and force, I forget
what I adjusted but it worked. For years this would happen usually on
the hottest days maybe once a week or month. One other thing ive had
happen is a sticking remote, when it sticks it reopens when I leave,
luckily mine has a light on the remote so now I check to be sure the
light is off, I used to keep it attached to the visor but I cant see
the light when its on the visor so now I just put it in a dash holder
and pull it out so I can see the Led light. Going out of adjustment is
common as structures setttle, hinges, door pins age and expand and
contract in different weather